More and more, I see clothes, and I think, “I could make that.” Of course, eight times out of ten it isn’t something I need (note the three skirts above, plus the skirts I shared here and here … and does anyone really need a sequined jacket?), but I think one of the great things about sewing is that I can make really fun items without having to justify the purchase.
So today, I’m sharing an inspiration board with six of the less practical projects I’m thinking about. Who knows, they may be coming to a holiday party near you! (But honestly, probably not until next year. :))
1. Fur vest: I started with this one because it’s the most practical. It’s warm – a bonus for me – and it could easily be dressed up or down. Real Simple styled a vest like this in its November issue, and I really liked the longer length. I may even make mine a little longer than the one above.
2. Release pleat skirt: I have this blue-green patterned fabric that I’ve been trying to find a use for. My top contender for a while was a pillow-like tube that I could put in the gap under my furnace room door. (Seriously – who cut these doors??) Then, I saw a pleated, holiday-esque skirt in this post. That fabric has a new home.
4. Lace high-low dress: I bought a teal high-low maxi dress a few years ago when I was Mrs. Peacock for Halloween, but it really needs a makeover. (It was $10 for a reason.) The skirt transformation is actually already done, but I’m looking for ideas for the top. Suggestions are welcome!
5. Black tulle skirt (styled here): True life, I already have two tulle skirts (a blue one and a white one), but I’m seriously considering making a black one, too. Mind you, when I was making my first tulle skirt (and trying to work from a bunch of Pinterest tutorials), my mom said, “Well, when you make your next one, you’ll know what to do already.” I was like, “I’m not going to make another one. Who needs two tulle skirts?” I’m apparently a huge liar.
6. Sequined jacket (styled here): Saving the least practical for last! I really don’t need this jacket, and I can only think of a couple of places to wear it (a New Year’s Eve party being one of them). But it’s so fun. It might even be impossible to be grumpy when wearing this coat. TBD.
I’ll keep you posted on my progress!